Village Chapels originally started as meetings in people’s houses and, as more people came together, it was decided to try to purchase land to build their own Chapels.
This happened in Brafield on the Green in 1829 when a building was erected that was then called the Meeting House.
The trustees later called on the Northampton Baptist Association to come under their association. This was accepted and the building became known as the Baptist Chapel (which is located in Chapel Lane off the Bedford Road behind the Village Post Office and Stores).
There was another group of people who started in a similar way who purchased a piece of land on the Bridle Path, and, in 1871, erected a building which became known as the Wesleyan Chapel. This Chapel closed in the late 1930s and was used by the Home Guard during the Second World War. The trustees of the Baptist Chapel bought it from the trustees of the Wesleyans in 1953. It was then used as the Baptist Chapel Sunday School because the Baptist Chapel itself is a small one room building and was not large enough for all the children at that time. There was Sunday School in the morning, followed by afternoon and evening services. The Sunday School closed in the mid 1980s.
The Baptist Chapel is still open for Sunday morning services at 10.30 a.m. Our services are led by local preachers, for whom we are thankful as some travel more than fifteen miles.
We warmly welcome anyone who wishes to come and join with us at any of our services.
Photographs of the inside of the Chapel can be viewed below. To view photographs of the Harvest Festival click here.
Secretary: Mr. David Clayson
46 Bridle Path Brafield on the Green NN7 1BP Tel : 01604 891473
Date last updated: 01 Oct 2010 Valid until: 31 Dec 9999